ATHLETICS AND RACE - A SPECIAL CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
We are pleased to continue our collaboration with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to call for presentations that focus on the intersection of race and athletics. Selected sessions will be presented to our shared community at NCORE 2020 in New York City!
NCORE and the NCAA calls on our constituencies to come forward with proposals that address key issues at this important intersection. We understand there are many issues and contexts that can be addressed, so we are providing some example topics for your consideration as you make decisions responsive to this call, as follows:
- The Role of Athletics in Integrating White Spaces
Activism, Social Justice, Politics, and Policy
- To Kneel or Not to Kneel
- The Kaepernick Effect
Experiences of Students/Coaches/Administrators in Non-traditional Sports
- Beyond Tiger: People of Color in Golf
- The Williams Sisters and the Transformation of Women’s Tennis
Race/Ethnicity Beyond Black and White
- Fundraising Strategies with Former Student-Athletes
- Retention and Graduation of Student Athletes
- Stereotypes of Athletes in the Classroom
- Combatting the Negative Rhetoric of Black Women in Sports
- Minority Athletes: Life After Sports
Leadership, Recruitment, and Hiring
The Deficit of Minority Coaches and Administrators in College Sports
Presentations should pertain to the ongoing and emerging racial and ethnic social justice issues in today's higher education institutions and beyond. Because NCORE is comprehensive in scope, we are looking for presentations that accomplish one or more of the following key objectives:
• Facilitate constructive dialogue, understanding, and action around significant issues within or between significant conference constituencies, i.e. racial/ethnic groups, gender identity groups, students, coaches, administrators, staff, geographical regions, and/or different types of higher education institutions.
• Provide important insight, perspective, skills, tools, and strategies that foster action, solutions, and practical application.
• Discuss efforts to create inclusive higher education environments, programs, and curriculum or expand opportunities for the educational access and success of culturally diverse and traditionally underrepresented populations. Efforts can be specific or comprehensive and in development or fully operational.
• Highlight exemplary actions, programs, approaches, and models.
• Cultivate nuanced intersectional understanding and build solidarity to make positive institutional advances.
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 28, 2020 (11:59 PM PST)
Selection and Scheduling Notification: Monday, March 16, 2020
Session Confirmation Deadline: Friday, March 27, 2020
Have a question? Please email us at email@example.com. We are grateful for your consideration and look forward to an opportunity to consider your proposed sessions.