NCORE NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Participating as a member of the NCORE® National Advisory Council is an excellent way to volunteer your talents and perspectives with other NCORE® participants who are committed to making NCORE® a stronger conference. Members of the NCORE® National Advisory Council are asked to attend all NCORE® conferences during their three year appointment to the council. Council members are eligible for a 30% discount on full conference registration.
NCORE® National Advisory Council Structure
The function of the NCORE® National Advisory Council (NAC) shall be to assist in setting a vision for the conference or implementing that vision by making recommendations with respect to the conference program, keynote speakers, and special events. As the name suggests, its function shall be advisory.
Detailed Structure of the NCORE® National Advisory Council:
- The council shall consist a total of 45 members and 4 students.
- All applicants must have attended at least one NCORE conference prior to applying for council membership.
- Members shall be selected by the Executive Committee of the Southwest Center for Human Relations Studies each year after the application deadline.
- Members shall be appointed for a maximum of three years, beginning immediately as a non-voting member and a voting member following the first NCORE® conference after their appointment.
- The council shall be composed of representatives from all of the racial and ethnic groups who regularly participate in the NCORE® in proportion to their participation. The proportion of participants who are males and females shall also be considered.
- Vacancies will be filled each year immediately after the annual meeting. Applications for membership will be accepted at any time during the year. The form for making application will be available at the annual meeting. Applicants who are not selected for membership in any given year are encouraged to reapply for membership for the following year.
Two members of the National Advisory Council shall serve each year as co-chairs of the NAC. The current co-chairs of the NAC are:
Monica Johnson, MA (2022)
Director Neal Marshall Black Culture Center
Kristina Marshall, JD (2024)
Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Oakland Community College
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Informal lines of communication with the NCORE® staff shall remain open, that is, the establishment of a National Advisory Council shall not preclude informal communication with the staff (or members of the Executive Council) on matters relevant to NCORE® and its program.